Welcome to The Helpful Art Teacher, an interdisciplinary website linking visual arts to math, social studies, science and language arts.

Learning how to draw means learning to see. A good art lesson teaches us not only to create but to look at, think about and understand our world through art.

Please click on my page to see my personal artwork and artist statement: http://thehelpfulartteacher.blogspot.com/p/the-art-of-rachel-wintembe.html

Please contact me at thehelpfulartteacher@gmail.com. I would love to hear from you.

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Face shading the 3/4 turned head step by step

Draw and shade a face: highlights, mid-tones and shadows from Rachel Wintemberg on Vimeo.




My students found it much easier to draw and shade a  partially turned head when this slide show was playing on a loop in the classroom.




Notice how I corrected my mistakes during the drawing process.

 I stepped back, made corrections, stepped back again, looked at it and made more corrections.

 Like a piece of writing, a drawing may go through numerous revisions and edits before it is 'finished'.


3/4 turned head printable handout



For more information about drawing faces please refer to my posts:

More on drawing faces

and

LEARNING HOW TO SHADE A FACE










FOR ANOTHER ARTIST'S USEFUL FACE DRAWING AND SHADING TUTORIAL, CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW:

No comments:

Post a Comment